Monday, June 25, 2012

33 Weeks

These days Lily is more than likely topping 4lbs. She's keeping her eyes open while she is awake and is even teaching herself to coordinate breathing with sucking and swallowing. She is a very active baby. I can feel her getting stronger each week and have been at the receiving end of quite a few strong karate chops and roundhouse kicks. We've been able to watch her move around through my belly and I feel her move more and more throughout the day.

This week Jeremy and I attended a Newborn Care class. It was pretty basic new-baby maintenance kind of stuff, but we both took a few new things away from it. (Did you know you're not supposed to use baby powder anymore?) There were a lot of people in class and I think Jeremy felt very comforted by the fact that he seemed to have it together well more than most. Some of the other dad's were clearly in a bit of a panic. Jeremy can put on a diaper and swaddle a baby like a champ now!

Our appointment this week went very well. Healthy heart beat for her, good health for me, we're trucking right along with only the expected aches and tiredness.We'll take it!

Sunday was a very special day for me. My first baby shower! My amazing mom and sister threw me a shower for my family. Just a small group of the women in our family to celebrate Lily's upcoming arrival. For quite some time I wasn't ever certain that I would get to have this experience. It was an exceptional day and feels even more special now that it has had some time to sink in. I managed to only cry a couple of times, so I think it was a success!

The ladies in my family spoiled us rotten. Such sweet and thoughtful gifts as homemade blankets and cherished items from Jeremy's childhood, to fun toys, helpful and practical items, and even a few luxuries for me (Brea - that nightgown is AWESOME). Since I was in my early 20's, well before we decided to get married, let alone have babies, I have pined after Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags. I've been to quite a few baby showers over the years and have always admired the functional and gorgeous bag. Thinking it was always something I would indulge in myself. Well guess what? My baby sister is amazing and I am now the proud owner of a PPB bag! I'll admit, I gasped, maybe even swore, and then cried when I saw it. Wow! It's even a print I've never seen before - I wasn't sure that was possible. You did great, baby sister.


I've been a bit overwhelmed with the generosity people have shown us. I am so eternally grateful for all of the tremendous people in our lives. I couldn't be more blessed - I know I've said it at least a dozen times on this blog alone. We are so lucky. It's only a matter of weeks now until this little baby girl comes home with us. We cannot wait. But, for now, I will have to be satisfied with reorganizing her gorgeous new gifts and doing another load of little baby laundry.

This is the good life.

33 Weeks:

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I see you got Sophie as a baby shower gift. Keep that one close by during teething for sure! It'll definitely be a big help :) Love reading your blog, I can't wait to see Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking in the hospital that I had NO idea how to change a diaper. Oops. You learn as you go for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete